To help you manage your client's medication, you can utilise CareLineLive's eMAR functionality by setting up medication tasks in your client's task schedules.
Before you can do this, you will need to set up their medication under the Medical tab in the client's profile. See Medical for more information on this.
Setting up a medical task
To set up a medical task, go to the client's Tasks tab by heading to Clients > [Client name] > Tasks. Click on the + icon in the top right hand corner to enter a task and fill out the time and date(s) required. For the task type, select "Medication":
You can only select medication that has been added to the client's Medical section. The start date is copied from this record but you can manually override this upon creation, or by editing it afterwards.
Once you have filled out the appropriate information, click create and the task will be assigned to the client. The task will appear in the app for any bookings that overlap with the time period the task is set to cover.
To view or print off a MAR sheet, go to the task page and find the <Export> button on the right hand side. When you click on this, it will give you the option to export:
- A Tasks and Medication sheet.
- A Tasks sheet.
- A MAR sheet
Select MAR sheet, you can then choose which month you want the chart to be for, including both past and future months. You can also select if you want to include completions, or to export a blank one if you want to fill this in manually.
On the exported sheet, you should see a similar page as below:
This page shows:
- The details of the client at the top with the dates that it is set to cover.
- What medication is in the list and the dosage.
- The time the task is set to occur. There will be a different month view for different times of day to make the chart easier to read.
- A view of the month with completions or prompts in the top line and the carer's initials, if completed with the app, in the bottom.
- A legend for the codes used in the MAR sheet; for example, "C" is completed.
(There is another page at the bottom which a blank table which can be filled in by hand if needed for notes or anything else.)
At the bottom of each page, there will be a timestamp of when the export was created and the page number to help you keep track, should you print these off.
Medication schedule cycle
Should the medication be on a cycle rather than set days; for example, every 3 days. It is possible to account for this using a task schedule cycle.
During a visit, the medication will show up in the tasks tab on the app. To add a completion, click on the task and enter the relevant information. Any side effects noted when creating the medication will show up here as well for the benefit of the carer.
When an attempt has been made to administer medication, there are variety of completion statuses for the carer to select from in the app, all of which have a related code for the eMAR chart. These are:
- C - Completed. This is for when the medication has been administered as scheduled.
- R - Refused. If the client refuses to take the medication.
- S - Sleeping. If the client is asleep at the time of administration.
- N - Nausea. If the client is feeling nauseas or is vomiting and it is not possible to administer medication.
- L - Left Out. If the client takes medication themselves and it has been left in an accessible place for them.
- F - Family Completed. If a family member has or will administer the medication.
- A - Absent. If the client or carer was absent when the booking was scheduled to take place.
- NS - No Stock. If the client has run out of the medication required.
- AT - Already Taken. If the client has already taken the medication themselves.
- M - Missed. If the administration was missed, either for a time specific one, or other.
- X - Other. Any other reason that does not fall under the categories above that meant that the medication could not be administered.
If a completion status other than "C - Complete" is added an explanation will be required by the carer prompting the medication on the app.
It is possible to create new statuses and codes, and edit the existing ones in Settings > Tasks. You can also edit whether or not the status requires an explanation.