If a client has the same regular visit times, or a carer has a regular shift pattern, you can create a schedule for them to allow you to create bookings more easily. A schedule entry is not a live booking and will not appear in a carers rota until a booking has been generated from it.
Client schedule entries
To create a schedule entry, head to the client's schedule page by clicking into a client's record and opening up their schedule tab.
Select when you would like the schedule entry to occur either by clicking the :add: button towards the right hand side, or by clicking and dragging on the planner on the day and time you wish to select. A green box will appear, click on this to see the schedule entry creation menu.
The when portion allows you to set when the bookings generated from this entry should appear. You can choose the week(s), day(s), start time and duration. The duration has a dropdown menu with some time suggestions, if you need to select a different duration you can delete the figure shown and enter a duration manually.
When the booking is generated from the schedule, you are able to move the booking to any time if you need to. You can apply time restrictions to a schedule entry to prevent the booking time being changed outside of a certain window. You can set the time before and after the scheduled time that the booking can be moved to on the roster. You can also set the minimum and maximum duration for the booking.
These changes only affect the roster/agenda. It may be possible for a carer to check in outside of these times. See arrival punctuality in App Config for more information.
Repeated or separate entries?
If the client has a multiple week schedule cycle, you can select which week the entry applies to, or select all, you can also select which days the booking should cover. When multiple days are selected, a new option will appear called "Create separate entries".
By default the multiple days will be grouped together as a Repeated entry. This means that despite the entry covering multiple days, it is seen as one item. When an entry is repeated, any options selected will be set across all repeated days including carer allocation. Please note that it is only the schedule entry that behaves in this manner, the generated bookings can be adjusted individually.
By choosing to create separate entries, the entries will still be created at the same time with the same parameters, but will be completely independent of each other, allowing for different carer allocations, booking types and even times/durations.
If in doubt, create the entries as repeated first, it is possible to split them into separate entries, but it is not possible to group separate entries together.
Select the booking type, team(s), round and service contract for the schedule entry. The schedule entry needs both the booking type and the service contract type in order to have bookings generated from it. The address field is only relevant when the visit is set to take place at an alternative location from the client's default.
Depending on the booking type chose, you can allocate one or more carers to the schedule entry. Whenever a booking is created from the schedule, it will automatically be allocated to the carers listed. If left blank the booking will create as unallocated.
When adding a carer, there are other options which can be chosen:
- Contract - Choose which carer contract should be used for the booking, you can select to use a fixed rate here if applicable.
- Billable/Payable - You can set the schedule entry to create a booking which is not billable and/or payable if needed.
- Pay mileage - There are three options here for carer mileage:
- Use contract default - Mileage is controlled by the contract
- Override and pay mileage - Regardless of the contract settings, mileage will be calculated for paying.
- Override and don't pay mileage - Regardless of the contract settings, mileage will not be calculated for paying.
- Transport type - Override the carer's default transport type for the booking. This will be used for mileage rates and travel time.
- Add payment - If a carer would receive any pay outside of what their contract would generate for this call then this option can be used for extra payment.
The following are grouped into the additional section:
- Carer notes - For information more specific to the booking than the care package summary or rota comments
- Number of Carers - Set a minimum number of carers for the visit. If less carers are allocated in the roster, there will be some visual warnings
- Overlapping options. (See Overlapping visits).
- Exclusions - Add the option to exclude the booking from creating on certain days (Public holidays/special days).
Once you have selected this information, click Create and the new schedule entry will appear.
It is important to note that this is not a created booking.
All the scheduled visits are showing as grey on the agenda, this means that a booking has not been created. The hours booked, and billable hours will remain at 0 if the bookings have not been generated on the agenda
To create a booking, either:
- Go to Rostering > Bookings > Unallocated. Select a date or date range and click Generate bookings. This option allows you to create bookings for all clients and carers at the same time. (Recommended)
- On the agenda, select Schedule week # to create all bookings from the schedule entries.
- On the agenda, double click on a scheduled visit and click "Create" to turn it into an individual booking.
In this example, an individual booking has been made. Once it has been created, and a carer allocated, it will show up as turquoise in the agenda.
Ad hoc bookings
To create an ad hoc booking, head to the agenda and click the time and day of when you would like the booking to happen, a green box with a + in the middle should appear, click on this. From here you can adjust the start time, choose the booking type and add carers. Once the form has been filled, click Create.
Carer schedule entries
The carer schedule allows you to set a carer's regular availability, or create a shift pattern for them. It is not possible to create a scheduled booking for a carer.
This is to note down times when a carer is either available or unavailable. By default, these are just indications of when, or when not to give a carer bookings but it is possible to apply restrictions to prevent bookings being assigned in the wrong circumstances.
In Settings > Roster > Restrictions, it is possible to restrict allocation of bookings to either:
- Carer must be scheduled as available - It will only be possible to assign bookings to a carer when they are set as available.
- Carer must not be scheduled as unavailable- It will not be possible to assign bookings to a carer if they are set as unavailable.
It is also possible to create ad hoc availability. This will override any scheduled availability for the time that it is set to cover meaning that if a carer is usually unavailable at a certain time, you can set them as available if they are able to cover some bookings. Ad hoc unavailability will always restrict allocation irrespective of restrictions set.
To schedule a shift, select the option from the drop down menu under Type.
Here you must select the team that the shift will apply for (if multiple available) and the carer contract. Similarly to bookings, a contract must be selected for the scheduled shift, in order for the shift to be generated from it. To generate a shift, head to Shifts > Scheduled and generate in the same manner as bookings.
Bookings can be cancelled and kept on the system for your records. For more information, see the page: Cancel a Booking